EBAC improves the well-being of children, youth and families by reducing the impact of trauma and social inequities and is committed to building a comprehensive, place-based continuum of accessible, trauma-informed and culturally relevant services that build resiliency, aid in recovery and, where possible, prevent exposure to adverse childhood experiences.
Our staff seeks to reduce barriers that contribute to disparities in wellness for socio-economically disadvantaged and racially marginalized families and to create communities where all children and families have supports to reach their full potential.
East Bay Agency for Children is
seeking a Child Psychiatrist, on a contract basis, to work in our intensive therapeutic classrooms across three elementary schools and one therapeutic preschool in Oakland, CA. This position requires availability to perform functions on site at our school sites in Oakland at least one day per week (4 hours per shift) and the ability to complete documentation per Medicaid guidelines in our clinical database.
This is an exciting opportunity for a psychiatrist motivated to provide transformational care for children impacted by trauma and struggling with moderate to severe behavioral health needs. Our ideal candidate will be passionate and ethical about early childhood and preventative clinical care for children ages 3-12 years old and be culturally responsive and have experience working with caregivers and children from diverse cultural backgrounds. Additionally, our clinical team members must be committed to trauma-informed care and able to work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team and caregivers. Please see job description for specific qualifications.
Psychiatric consultation, evaluation, diagnosis and medication monitoring; provide feedback to clinical coordinators re:
the therapeutic program. Assume psychiatric/medical responsibility for clients in the program.
- MD, licensed to practice medicine in California.
- Board certified/eligible child psychiatry.
- Previous experience in milieu treatment program or with children with severe behavioral health needs including impulsivity, developmental trauma, prenatal insults, histories of child abuse and neglect, learning disabilities and moderate to profound functioning impairments.
- Interest in working collaboratively with other mental health and education disciplines and appreciation for the impact of early trauma on development and understanding of working from a trauma-informed orientation.
- Ability to perform crisis interventions, supportive counseling, and other direct mental health services.
- Client Centered: Participate in diagnostic evaluations, treatment planning, treatment review, discharge planning; conduct psychiatric diagnostic interviews as needed; regularly observe in milieu; meet with children and families re: medication assessment, prescription, and monitoring; consultation with outside psychiatrists as needed.
- Staff Centered: Participate in case-conference discussions; attend professional staff meetings as available; provide feedback to clinical and associate director re:program observations/issues; supervise individual and family therapy performed by social workers as needed;provide in-service training; participate in recruitment, hiring, and evaluation of clinical staff in consultation with leadership.
- Trauma Informed and Program Centered: Understanding and commitment to trauma-informed care principles and practice; interest in understanding our trauma-focused assessment and transformational care approaches (neurosequential model of therapeutics, filial play therapy, ARC and dialectical behavior therapy). Periodic review of therapeutic milieu program in consultation with Program Directors; implementation of program modifications in consultation with Program Directors; maintenance of relationships with other treatment agencies in the community;
- Other duties as assigned.
East Bay Agency for Children is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply by sending a cover letter, resume to email@example.com
, or by fax to 510-268-0143. Please use the job title as the subject. No phone calls please.