For 5 years EBAC has been named a Top Workplace by the Bay Area News Group, reflecting our supportive and fulfilling work environment. As an EBAC staff member you can enjoy a healthy work/life balance through generous paid time off and excellent benefits. A career with EBAC will make you part of a well-established and respected agency with an inspiring team of people furthering a compelling mission.
QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCY FACTORS
- Teaching credential and/or completion of CBEST preferred.
- AA degree or completion of 48 college semester units required.
- At least two years of teaching (gardening, art, recreation or other enrichment activities) or academic tutoring experience preferred
- Experience in working with elementary age students, specifically those from diverse, multi-lingual populations.
- Strong classroom management and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent oral, computer & written communication skills.
- Demonstrated capacity to work as a team player and colleague; excellent interpersonal skills; flexible; ability to listen and respond effectively; and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Spanish speaking preferred but not required.
- Develop mini lessons aligned with the school-day goals utilizing research and resources provided. Lessons should be theme or project based. The theme of most projects will be determined by the class being taught and/or the afterschool instructor’s interest(s).
- Complete and submit weekly lesson plans to Program Coordinator.
- Assess student progress and provide progress information to school-day teachers, parents and afterschool staff.
- Communicate with parents about student academic progress and behavior, which includes in-person, telephone and written communication.
- Be prepared for class every day and use instructional time effectively.
- Participate in all program staff meetings and trainings which may include meeting with Quality Support Coach and school day teachers
Daily Program Expectations
- Lead mini enrichment and/or academic lessons to a group of 17-20 students (depending on grade-level).
- Engage students in fun and exciting projects.
- Provide homework assistance and individual tutoring.
- Maintain a physically and emotionally safe environment for students to learn.
- Demonstrate effective classroom management with an effective, articulated discipline and reward system that includes rules that are clear and posted.
- Use a variety of instructional strategies and resources in order to engage all students and their diverse needs (including age-appropriateness and purpose).
- Shared responsibility for program set up, which may include snack supervision, classroom clean up, taking attendance, general announcements and recess/bathroom supervision.
- Other duties as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS and JOB SETTING
- Work hours vary depending on position and program site.
- Program hours are M, T, TH, F 2:45-6:00 p.m. and W 1:00-6:00.
- Afterschool Instructors are allotted 30 minutes of prep time per day
- Positions are from August through June.
EBAC offers a uniquely generous time off package and an outstanding benefits package that includes health; chiropractic; dental; voluntary life insurance (for yourself and your family), AD&D and SDT; accident and critical illness coverage (for yourself and family); flexible spending for medical, child care and commuter benefits; 403b retirement program; legal insurance; and, agency paid life insurance and long term disability coverage.
- Work is primarily in a classroom setting with children and secondarily in an outdoor playground environment.
- Classrooms may be in multi-story building with stairs that need to be climbed for access to the second floor.
- Because work is directly with children, full mobility is required for standing, walking, sitting, using hands, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling.
- High noise levels at times.
- May need to use child-size chairs for sitting.
- Periodic lifting up to 25 pounds is required.
East Bay Agency for Children is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply by sending a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, or by fax to 510-268-0143. Please use the job title as the subject. No phone calls please.